Monday, November 1, 2010

I had an interview with Amelie G Magazine March 2010
















When I received an email from Edmund Kee from Amelie G Magazine, I was floored that they wanted to interview me. I am so thankful to be a part of Amelie G Magazine.

The interview is below:

Art: LKMAKEUPYOURMIND (March 2010)
02/28/2010
By Edmund_Kee


LKMAKEUPYOURMIND
By Edmund Kee

Art can be inspired by millions of elements in existence. It can be tasted, seen, heard, felt and worn. The “wear-art” is the heartbeat of Amelie G, but often times are focused mainly on the garment that prestigiously clothe the human body. This month’s Art section features a talented and uprising Artist who adds another category to the list of “wear-art”. Lauren Kattan is the founder and lead artist of LKMakeupyourmind.com. Her work truly inspires me. She has been in the Makeup industry for almost 3 years now. However, she has been an artist her entire life. Among many impressive projects that are featured below, her resume also includes working for MAC Cosmetics and currently with Sephora. I had the pleasure of interviewing her just to capture a glimpse of her passion in this industry:

AG: Any interesting story behind your mom naming you Lauren?
LK: Until today my mom always told me that I was either going to be a Lauren or a Kelly. I am so glad I am not a Kelly. I called her this evening and found out the real reason I was named Lauren. My mother said she always thought the name was pretty and that she always admired and actress Lauren Becall.

AG: Where were you born and raise?
LK: I was born in Gentilly-New Orleans area and raised in Bridge City on the Westbank, the suburbs of New Orleans

AG: What inspired you and your passion towards makeup?
LK: It was the First day of my junior year of high school. I was on my way to class. I was so excited; I had just been named Vice President of NAHS(National Art Honor Society). Although I was excited, Vice president also comes with the responsibility of ART 4. An all Senior Class.
I walked into class; my best friend Jen saved me a seat at a table with two other girls. One of the girl’s name was Crystal. She had these big, beautiful, blue eyes. The other girl was a rebel. Her name was Kristy. She has makeup spread out all over the table. There were neon eye shadows of all different shades and textures. As I sat down, Kristy leaned over the table got right in my face and said “Why are you sitting here, no one wants to sit by you”
Needless to say I spent the rest of the class in the restroom. The next few classes were the same. Kristy would do her makeup and give me the stink eye the whole period. One day, I ran into her in the hall way. Courage overcame me and I confronted her. Surprisingly, she apologized and explained to me that she was trying to get a job at a makeup company. From that day I became Kristy’s guinea pig. I would watch her do my eyes with a hand mirror.
After several years, Kristy and I went our separate ways. Makeup became my passion. My senior year I decided I wanted to follow in Kristy’s footsteps. I got the Job at the same company as Kristy. That upstarted my journey as a makeup artist. As my journey continues I find myself saying “There’s no shortcuts in anyplace worth going”. I plan on trying out for my dream job this summer. Sephora’s Pro Beauty team, which is an international team of 14 artists that travel and do celebrity makeup/fashion shows/film festivals/etc.

AG: Who are some of the people that make your inner creativeness jump up and down?
LK: I get really excited when I watch Dany Sanz. She is the creator of Makeup Forever Professional Cosmetics. She is amazing. I also get inspired when I’m around my photographer friends. I live with two of them Jen Leblanc photography and M.Prophet. Kaylynn Marie Photography and Erica Perry really inspire me as well. All four of them are full of talent. They all inspire me in different ways. When Kaylynn and I collaborate we really push the limits we try the most insane stunts. Erica Perry really pulls the high fashion artistry out of me. M.Prophet (MAX) pushes me with really edgy makeup such as special Fx, which is not my strong point. He has challenged me to get out of my comfort zone and into my learning zone. Jen really leads me into pulling the emotion and inner beauty out of people. I have learned so much from these fellow artists.

AG: In the makeup industry, what would you say is your strength? Weakness?
LK: I have many strengths in this industry. I have a background in artistry. My mother is an amazing painter. I also can do many different types of makeup including wedding and bridal, glam, editorial, special FX, High fashion, and body painting. My biggest challenge is taking criticism. The reason is not that I don’t value what the person has to say; truly I enjoy feedback and I understand that honest feedback (both positive and negative) is the only way to continuously improve. However, being a person that takes a great deal of pride in her work, often my first response is defensive, rather than appreciative. This is something I am aware of, and am working on conquering as I know it will make me a better artist and person in the future.

AG: What are some of the toughest challenges being young in this highly competitive industry?
LK: The biggest challenge I would say is lack of funds. I work so much to pay my bills it’s hard to do the kind of makeup jobs I want to do. I feel like living in Louisiana can have a little bit to do with it as well. Louisiana’s industry is growing. Just not fast enough for me. “The hardest people to convince that you’re a professional are your friends and family.” –Jen Leblanc

AG: If resources (ie: $$) weren’t an issue, what would you like to do with your passion in makeup?
LK: Go find out where Dany Sanz lives. Knock on her front door, show her my portfolio and pick her brain. Then beg her to let me be her main artist.

AG: What would be your dream project?
LK: Doing makeup for a fashion show I designed and the show to be huge!! Like in New York Fashion Week.

AG: Well Ms. Kattan, it was a pleasure talking to you. Keep the creativeness going, there’s a place in this industry for artists like yourself. Amelie G’s hope is to bring artists like you from all over and put New Orleans in the map of the Fashion Industry. Thank you for spending this time with us.

Please visit www.LKMakeupyourmind.com for your next project needing a talented and passionate MUA.

No comments:

Post a Comment